Thursday 7 October 2010

It's ok to fight...

I have been working with a couple for about 3 months now and I just wanted to share how lovely it has been to see how far they have come.

When they first came they were very anxious and found conflict very difficult. This evening the man said, 'when I first started coming to these sessions I had an idealised idea of relationships, I would get very upset when we would fight because I don't think you should fight in relationships, but now I know it's going to be all right, we can fight and get angry and upset but after that we will still be ok.'

I thought that was a really important break through for them because they had now created a relationship between them, and through the work we had done, that was safe enough for them both to express themselves and sometimes disagree, but still be secure in the way they felt about each other through the fight and beyond.

I love what I do : )

No comments:

Post a Comment